Saturday, November 8, 2008

Stereotypes

A few weeks ago, I discovered a blog called stuffwhitepeoplelike.com. I found it quite funny because I didn't get offended by the contents of the list. However, when I showed it the guy I'm dating, he laughed because he says the portrayal is true and that I fit many of the categories. He is Mexican-American. I don't look at him that way, though. He is just Armando to me.

What gave me pause is the fact that I tease Armano constantly about "being white." I call him "white" because he is a graduate of Texas A&M University, drives an SUV, shops at Hollister, and watches "The Office." Of course, I'm being ridiculous in my stereotypes. People of any race or ethnic background can do any of these things. I realized that I buy into stereotypes of "whiteness" by labeling the above behaviors as those demonstrated by whites. I tease Armando about being "whiter" than I am because, despite our appearances, he exemplifies the traits of white people more than I do. Of course, I'm only joking in this assessment. People should be able to act as they please and not be labeled accordingly.

What is it to "act black" or "act white"? Why do we need to stereotype behavior? I suppose that in certain instances, it saves time, but it often incorrectly characterizes people.

No comments: