Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Oprah can't escape the news.

I saw a headline today about Oprah Winfrey's weight. I immediately chose not to purse the article. Yes, Oprah did choose to reveal to the public her new weight, so her privacy was not invaded. Moreover, she seems embarrassed by it and possibly want sot use the issue as a means to informing the public about proper diet and exercise, but I still fail to see how this revelation is newsworthy. The media is using Oprah's weight gain as a means to "educating" the public of the dangers of obesity. However, the media exploits Oprah by doing so. This is utilitarian journalism at its worst!

I wonder how the media would treat a male celebrity's admission of weight gain. Would such a male be ridiculed, pitied, or used as an educational example? Of course, by not reading the article about Oprah, I did not learn how her issue was handled. The headline was enough for me to direct my attention elsewhere.

No comments: